I cooked this recipe for the Kent State game. It turned out great and was a much requested recipe. The hot really cuts the sour of the kraut and blends the flavors rather well.
- 1 lb hot breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 32 – ounce can sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 8 – ounces package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 4 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Frying Oil
Brown sausage and onions in a large skillet. Drain fat.
Drain sauerkraut, pressing out as much liquid as possible. Combine sauerkraut, sausage mixture, ¼ cup bread crumbs, cream cheese, mustard, spices and sriracha. Chill for 3 hours
Put flour in a shallow container. In another shallow container, beat eggs and water until combined. Put bread crumbs in a third shallow container.
Roll kraut mixture into golf ball size balls Roll balls in flour, then in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs.
Deep fry until brown